- Start this dish by making the wonton dough, in a large mixing bowl add 400g flour and 2g of salt. Make a well in the centre of the flour and add 210g of water, mix vigorously with chopsticks until combined. When more manageable kneed the dough with your hands until no more flour is visible. When a dough is formed clingfilm and allow to rest for 30 minutes to allow the gluten in the flour to activate.
3. Whilst we are waiting on the dough to rest we can make the broth. In a large dry pan add 4 chopped chicken wings and sear until charred. Now slice 3 cm of ginger and add to the chicken followed by 4 garlic cloves, 2 roughly chopped spring onions, 5 dry shitake mushrooms. Then dry fry until aromatic then add 1 ltr of water and 3 tbsps of light soy. Turn the heat down to a simmer and cook slowly for at least 1 hour skimming occasionally.
5. Back to the dough, after 1 1/2 the dough should be soft and easy to work with. Place onto a work top and divide the dough into 4 equal pieces. Dust well with corn flour and roll out the dough into 4 flat rectangles roughly 30cm by 20cm. Repeat this process for all 4 pieces of dough and again dust with cornflour to prevent them from sticking. Place all 4 flat pieces of dough on top of each other as we can now roll the dough together.
6. To roll all the pieces of dough together, use the rolling pin to assist by rolling the dough onto the rolling pin and roll. Frequently dust each piece of dough with corn flour to prevent sticking and try to roll out any unwanted air bubbles. We are aiming to roll the dough as thin as possible roughly 2mm thick, when ready place all the sheets on top of each other and prepare to cut.
8. To make the wantons take 1 wrapper and place roughly 1 tsp of the filling into the middle. With a brush lightly brush water around the border of the dough and fold the wrapper into a triangle. Make sure the edges are nicely sealed then take the two ends of the triangle, lightly brush with water and fold over to seal the wanton. When all the wantons are rolled place to one side. (There are many ways to fold wanton pastry, this is just one way although its entirely up to you how you fold them).
9. To cook the wantons place a large pan of water on a high heat and bring to a boil. Add the wantons in batches and cook for 4-5 minutes. You will know when the wantons are cooked as they will rise to the surface of the water when ready. As we are waiting on the wantons to cook now would be a good time to check the seasoning of the broth by adding additional salt if needed. When satisfied pass the stock through a fine sieve and prepare to serve..