1. Let’s start with the traditional method of cleaning the meat before we begin to braise. Doing this will discard of any impurities within the short ribs which will leave us with a much cleaner braise. Start by adding a large pot 1/2 full of water onto a high heat. Add all of the short ribs then boil for 15-20 minutes or until the impurities rise to the top.
3. Now to braise, add the cleaned short ribs to a fresh pot then top up with enough fresh water to just cover the short ribs. Next in a small bowl we want to add 3 peeled then grated pears, 1 peeled and grated apple, 10 grated garlic cloves (I know its a lot…), and 10g of grated ginger. Mix well then add this slurry to the short ribs. To the short ribs we also want to add 5 tbsps of gochugaru red pepper flakes, 100mls of light soy (korean brand preferably), 50mls soju or sake, 3 tbsps honey, 30mls apple vinegar and finally 2 tbsps of white sugar. Thats a lot of niche ingredients, however, this will give us those key characteristics of sweet, spicy and umami.
4. Now place the braise onto a high heat and bring the liquid up to a boil. When boiling remove of any extra impurity’s once again then turn the heat down to a medium simmer. Place a lid over the top and braise the short ribs low and slow for 2 hours.
5. After 2 hours of braising the short ribs should be now nice and tender and its also time to incorporate the vegetables to the braise. Start by peeling 4-5 sweet potatoes and peel 1/2 of a daikon radish. Cut the daikon and sweet potatoes into similar bits sized pieces. Next peel and slice 1 white onion into a similar size then slice a bunch of spring onions into batons. Place the spring onions separately to the other vegetables for now.
Finish the braise:
6. Add all of the vegetables apart from the spring onions then mix well. Season generously with fresh cracked black pepper then check the seasoning. To season add additional honey, light soy or apple vinegar depending on taste. The braise at this point should be rich, slightly tart, spicy and slightly sweet. When ready place turn the heat slightly higher and begin to reduce and cook the vegetables for 25-30 minutes.
7. When the vegetables are cooked and the braise reduced we are pretty much ready. To finish, remove from the heat and add the sliced spring onions and a generous amount of sesame seeds and finally a drizzle of toasted sesame oil.
8. Serve the Galbi-Jjim with some fresh steamed rice and some optional pickles on the side to help cut through the richness of the short ribs. I hope you like this recipe and have fun!