Vegetables and salmon:
- Let’s begin by preparing all of the vegetables, finely slice 2 shallots, mince 3 garlic cloves, roughly chop 4 spring onions, slice 2 limes into 1/2 and pick a handful of birdseye chillies. Place all of the prepared ingredients separately to one side and we can begin to cook.
4. Place the same pan that we seared the salmon back onto a high heat then add 2 tbsp of white sugar. Cook out the sugar for 3-4 minutes or until the sugar dissolves and a light caramel is formed. To the caramel we now want to add the chopped shallots and garlic then briefly cook in the caramel. When fragrant add 2 tbsp fish sauce and approximately 75mls of water then reduce the liquid by half.
5. When reduced by half add the seared salmon back into the pan and continue to reduce until the salmon is cooked and the sauce becomes glaze like.
6. When ready baste the salmon with the glaze then add a handful of whole birdseye chillies. Remove from heat then finish the salmon with a squeeze of fresh lime.
7. To serve add the salmon to serving bowls then drizzle the glaze and chillies over the top. Serve with some freshly steamed rice or fresh cucumber on the side and nourish! Hope you like this super simple Vietnamese comfort food recipe!
As mentioned in the description this dish traditionally uses fish that is on the bone. You can either apply this recipe to small whole fish or various fish that is cut on the bone such as a darne. As for what types of fish to use then catfish is more traditional, however bream, seabass, prawns are just a few to name additional fish that could also be used. If you have a claypot then most definitely use this instead of a pan to cook the fish and braise.I hope you like this recipe and peace as always!