- Start this dish by making a dry rub for the brisket. In a mortar and pestle add 1 tbsp coriander seed, 2 tbsp palm sugar, 1 tbsp chilli powder, 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp smoked paprika, salt and black pepper. Grind all the ingredients until a dry rub is formed. Add all of the rub to the beef brisket and make sure that the whole joint is nicely covered in all of the dry rub.
2. Place a large pan onto a high heat then drizzle the brisket with a splash of olive oil. Add the brisket to the pan once hot sear the brisket until nice and caramelised. When the brisket is ready remove from the pan and place onto a tray. Using the same pan that we seared the brisket add another splash of cooking oil then add 2 chopped shallots, 2 bruised lemon grass stalks, 5cm sliced ginger, 4 star anise and 1 cinnamon stick. Fry for approximately 5 minutes on a medium heat then add 1 tbs of palm sugar and caramelise..
3. Now add the brisket back to the pan followed by 1 litre of chicken or beef stock. Add enough stock to ensure that the brisket is covered. Turn the heat onto high and allow the stock come to a boil. When boiling cover the pan in tinfoil and place into a hot oven set at 150°C. Cook the beef for 3-4 hours (depending on the size of the brisket).
4. Whilst we are waiting for the brisket to cook we can prepare all the other ingredients. For the salad and herbs wash and either leave whole or cut into bite sized pieces, then in a dry pan toast and grind a handful of peanuts. To make pickled vegetables slice carrot and cucumber into a julienne. Now in a small bowl add 1 finely chopped garlic clove, 50g sugar, 100ml rice vinegar, 150ml water and a pinch of salt. Whisk all the ingredients until the sugar has dissolved then add the vegetables. Pickle the vegetables for at least 30 minutes before serving.
5. To make nouc cham dressing in a bowl add 3 tbsp sugar, 3 tbsp fish sauce the juice of 2 limes and 1 tsp of rice vinegar. Mix well until all the sugar dissolevs then when ready add finely chopped garlic and chilli and set to one side.
You could also use pork shoulder instead of brisket if you wanted. As for how to eat the brisket you can simply enjoy it with rice or on a banh mi if you wanted to. Have fun making this simple recipe.